Contact tracing is key to slowing the spread of COVID-19, the CDC provides insight on what contact tracing is and what to expect if you receive a call from your health department:
Contact tracing includes
- Letting people know they may have been exposed to COVID-19 and should monitor their health for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
- Helping people who may have been exposed to COVID-19 get tested.
- Asking people to self-isolate if they have COVID-19 or self-quarantine if they are a close contact.
Contact tracers will NOT ask for:
- Your citizenship status
- Bank Account Information
- Salary Information
- Credit Card Numbers
Contact Tracing is simply a way to see who is affected by COVID, advise them of the best measures to take, and discuss who you may have been around to notify them as well. These discussions are confidential and your name will only be shared with those who need to know, like your health care provider. Only public health authorities can use this system
Free, easy-to-use mobile phone app that will help Nevadans slow the spread of the virus in our fight against COVID-19.
HOW THE APP WORKS Contact tracing can quickly notify you if you’ve likely been exposed to the virus, allowing you to reduce risk and make informed choices.
- Download the free COVID Trace app, available for both Apple and Android phones.
- It uses a technology called Exposure Notification System through your phone’s Bluetooth function and works in the background to exchange privacy-preserving random ID codes with other phones nearby.
- Once you opt-in to the notification system, the app will generate a random ID for your device, which changes throughout the day to ensure your privacy.
Daily, the app checks all the random ID codes associated with positive COVID-19 cases against a list.
- If there’s a match, the app will notify you that you’ve come into contact with someone who has tested positive and will provide further instruction of what to do next.
No one will know:
- Your location
- Your name or address
- Your health information
- Who you met
- Who tested positive