The mission of the NMHEC is to promote the health and well-being of diverse communities by pursuing research, capacity building, and advocacy that recognizes the unique cultural and linguistic differences of Nevadans.
NMHEC recognizes inequality as a co-morbidity and therefore promotes the elimination of preventable health disparities. Our vision of a healthy community is one where:
- All diversity and equity communities have a seat at the table
- Diversity and inclusion within the community is respected and valued by community members, institutions, and policy makers
- Everyone has equitable access to quality primary and behavioral healthcare and social services
- Work is conducted in partnership with community members, organizations, service providers and local, state and federal government to identify and address the social of determinants of health
We believe that capacity building is valuable and important to build long-term impacts by strengthening skills, knowledge, and resources that can enhance community engagement and the partnerships’ collective ability to address health disparities. It is the goal of this coalition to support capacity building in areas of policy, advocacy, community-based participatory research, and grant development.
Policy and Advocacy
We believe giving a voice to our most vulnerable is essential to what we do. It is the commitment of the NMHEC to advance policies and practices that address social determinants of health to work alongside cross-sectoral partners and members to bring light to community concerns and issues.
Research, Data, and Dissemination
Research is essential to developing evidence-based interventions that can address and improve health outcomes of the population. In collaboration with research institutions the NMHEC is committed to:
- Identifying and contributing to interdisciplinary research needs that address the intersection between social determinants and health
- Collecting, analyzing, and disseminating data the helps better inform the needs of Nevadans