Health matters! Navigating the healthcare system can be intimidating, challenging, and frustrating. The good news is you have the power to advocate for yourself to receive the care and resources you need and to protect your health. Here you will find several tools and resources that can guide you on your journey in becoming your own health advocate because your health matters!
What is Health Advocacy?
Health advocacy is vouching for your health and health care needs when navigating the healthcare system, so that you can ensure that you receive care that meets your needs and preferences. You can advocate for your health by voicing your concerns, asking questions, expressing your needs and preferences, and making all health decisions with your health care provider (1, 2). Being your own health advocate empowers you to better navigate the healthcare system, collaborate with your healthcare provider in making health decisions, and advocate for your rights and needs as a patient (3). Get the most out of your healthcare by becoming your own health advocate!
This directory offers a list of safety net resources for individuals who may need them. It also provides an opportunity for organizations to connect their clients with other resources. Click on any topic below to find out what is available in Nevada.
- How to be a better self-advocate at doctor appointments. (2021, July 2). Real Simple. https://www.realsimple.com/health/preventative-health/self-advocacy-at-doctor-appointments
- How to speak up for better medical care. (n.d.). WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/aging-health-advocate
- Be your own health advocate: why it’s important & how to do it well. (n.d.). United States of Health Care. https://unitedstatesofhealthcare.com/why-is-it-important-to-be-your-own-health-advocate/
- Glossary of billing terms. (n.d.). Dignity Health | Hello humankindness. https://www.dignityhealth.org/las-vegas/patients-and-visitors/for-patients/billing-and-payment/glossary-of-billing-terms
- Systemedic. (2020, September 15). Common medical billing terms you should understand. Health Insurance Claims Advocate. https://get-meducated.com/2020/07/common-medical-billing-terms-you-should-understand/
- WPS Health Insurance and WPS Health Plan. (n.d.). Common Health Insurance Terms and Definitions. https://www.wpshealth.com/resources/customer-resources/health-insurance-terminology.shtml
- Tips to help you advocate for your health. (2022, March 7). Verywell Health. https://www.verywellhealth.com/tips-to-help-you-advocate-for-your-health-5219442#toc-find-the-right-healthcare-professional
- Just a moment… (n.d.). Just a moment… https://patientengagementhit.com/news/patient-centered-care-lacking-for-minorities-low-income-patients
- Patient advocacy engagement toolkit | Immune deficiency Foundation. (n.d.). Immune Deficiency Foundation |. https://primaryimmune.org/patient-advocacy-engagement-toolkit
- Making the most of your health care visit. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. https://www.acog.org/womens-health/faqs/making-the-most-of-your-health-care-visit
- Health Partners. (n.d.). Picking a Health Insurance Plan: Top 10 Questions to Ask. https://www.healthpartners.com/blog/10-questions-to-ask-when-picking-a-plan/
- Smith, Y. (2019, June 20) Doctor-Patient Relationship. News Medical Life Sciences. https://www.news-medical.net/health/DoctorPatient-Relationship.aspx
- Katelle, K. (2020, January 15) Can a Second Opinion Make a Difference? https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/second-opinions#:~:text=%E2%80%9CA%20second%20opinion%20is%20most,where%20cases%20may%20be%20presented.