In 2018, the CDC funded 31 recipients to reduce health disparities among racial and ethnic populations with the highest burden of chronic disease through culturally tailored interventions to address preventable risk behaviors. NMHEC supports REACH through one of their recipients, the Southern Nevada Health District (SNHD).
NMHEC works on furthering their tobacco, physical activity, and nutrition objectives by:
- Participating and supporting community engagement strategies
- Identifying and providing relevant data to priority populations
- Providing input on educational materials and communication message
- Providing training for CHQs on REACH project, Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) standards, and Nevada CHW Association curriculum
- Providing Technical Assistance to increase the number of tobacco or smoke-free outdoor recurring events
NMHEC is not working alone in this project, and is joined by Partners for Healthy Nevada, Southern Nevada Food Council, Southern Nevada Breastfeeding Coalition, and Nevada Tobacco Prevention Coalition.